Mistress Fortune (First Impressions)June 5, 2008 at 4:26 pm | Posted in Mistress Fortune | 23 Comments
Tags: Arina Tanemura
So before I actually start blogging about Mistress Fortune (I have yet to read the translations after all), I want to give a few of my first impressions.
By the way the full title for this manga is, “Zettai Kakusei Tenshi Mistress Fortune” or “Absolute Awakening Angel Mistress Fortune” as I’m translating it. Don’t yell at me if that’s wrong though. I found like eight different definitions for “Kakusei” and I just stuck with the one I already knew. (Check out the plot synopsis on MAL)
Of course, we’ll be calling it Mistress Fortune since that’s way easier.
Now then, the first thing I realized when I saw the first promo image of Mistress Fortune on a random Chinese site was, “This manga is definitely different from ShinKuro” and upon seeing the raws (but not bothering to even try and read them), I’m pretty sure that I was both right and wrong.
Mistress Fortune actually seems similar to ShinKuro in the romance department. At least for the early stages of both stories. No crazy love triangle has developed yet, but the main heroine, Kisaki has a thing for a really talented boy named Giniro before the story even begins.
But aside from that this one’s probably closer to Time Stranger Kyoko than anything. Focusing on some light-hearted romance, comedy, and magical-girl adventures. KKJ always had tons of drama starting with volume 2 and Full Moon…well Full Moon dealt with death…a lot. Not much room for fluff.
But Mistress Fortune seems to be starting off like a typical Arina Tanemura manga. The only thing is…no cliffhanger. The first chapter has the layout of an arc-ending chapter or of a one-shot. Very unlike the typical Arina Tanemura starting chapter. Even ION’s first chapter had a cliffhanger. Time Stranger Kyoko kind of wrapped up nicely in the first chapter, but there was a “the adventure’s just beginning” sort of thing to it. It looks like Mistress Fortune’s first chapter ends with a joke (Which Tanemura-sensei often does when she finishes an arc).
All that aside, let’s talk about the art. It changed a lot in the last few chapter of Shinshi Doumei Cross, but it kind of went back to normal with the final chapter of that manga. But Arina Tanemura always seems to try out a new style when starting a new manga. She especially seems to like designing different-looking boys (lots of girls in Arina Tanemura manga look similar, but the boys rarely get confused). As for the current style, I’d say it reminds me of the early chapters of Full Moon.
Now aside from all that here’s some stuff I noticed while I was looking through the raws:
- Kisaki is really cute. If my top ten list wasn’t already all decided, she probably would have showed up in there.
- Giniro is cute and he’s definitely the type of guy I like paired with my cute girls.
- Kisaki reminds me a little bit of Haine…she seems to fail a lot (in the cutest way possible)
- Angel wings FTW!!!
- Not many side characters…
- Mascot bunny-looking character!!!
- lol, Seems like Giniro might be a perv (YES!!!)
- Their teacher (or whoever) reminds me of Taka-kun’s stepmom Kyouka (or maybe Kasuga)
- I love Kisaki’s wavy hair. I want to cosplay as her already~!
- Kisaki has the Bishoujo Crying Face down better than even Maron.
- Strawberries are back in Arina Tanemura manga! (been missing them)
- I don’t like the accessories (crown and earrings) for Fortune Tiara, but the outfit’s cute.
- I saw a blushy-moment for both Kisaki and Giniro!!!
- I saw TWO blushy moments!!!
- Ah…I already love this manga. Classic Arina Tanemura
So that’s what I’ve gathered from the raws. Looking forward to seeing some translations~!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.